Friday, May 22, 2009

5 Years of Pure Happiness







May 22, 2004 Matthew and I got married and I couldn't have made a better choice in my life.

For those of you who don't know my story, I guess I will tell you here how we met...

Matt and I met on line and both of us had a few experiences of meeting people on line that turned out to be complete duds! Matt vowed to never go on line again to date, and I was still curious.
Well, one day Matt had a very strong impression that he needed to go on LDS Mingle again. He was very confused, but he did as he was prompted. It was a day later that I saw his profile and gave him a "wink" ;o) That day we chatted on line and we agreed to call each other and talk to see how it turned out. Well, he called me and the moment he called I got this feeling that it was all going to work out.
We talked for a long time, but I soon had to go to work. I couldn't stop thinking about him all day at work. I called him the next day and that's where we knew that we were going to get married and there was nothing no body could do to stop us.
A few days into talking I was praying to the Lord asking if I needed to go on a mission or stay home and marry this man, and as soon as I said that, Matt called. talk about freaky!
Well, a month after talking on the phone we agreed that we needed to meet, so he flew out to Massachusetts. Days later, he proposed to me at the Boston Temple and a week or two later we drove out to Missouri so I could meet his family.
We were planning our wedding out so that we would get married in the Boston Temple, but we were...let's say, making out more then we should have and things got to the point where if we didn't get married we would have messed up (we didn't, although some family might have thought we did...we NEVER messed up). So we decided that getting married right then and there was the best choice for us. We prayed and fasted and we both got the impression that it was the best choice for us at that time. Well, we made the choice May 19th and got married May 22nd.

Lately I have been really kicking myself in the butt for not waiting and getting married in the Temple right away. We were faithful members of the church who didn't get married in the Temple and I felt guilty and still feel guilty for not doing so. Matt keeps telling me that it's in the past and that we are sealed and that's all that matters, but it's so more then that. Men don't understand the whole wedding process....the dress, the ring, the hair, the flowers, the bride's maids....etc. I think I'm bitter about that whole process then anything else. It's just an irrational thought process that I need to get over.

Over all, I'm so thankful to have such an amazing husband and father to my children! I couldn't have asked for a better man. He completely completes me :o) He's my best friend, my lover, and most importantly, my Eternal Companion :o)

Note: How did I manage to get a wedding dress in such a short amount of time? I called up a bunch of people who sold wedding dresses and I called this one lady who sold them from her home and told her of my situation and she was very willing to let me try them on. I tried on so many dresses and none of them fit me perfectly...they were all too small or too big :o( The one I wore to my wedding was a bit big but it worked....I wish it was prettier....but beggars can't be choosers! :o)

2 comments:

The Giles Files said...

The dress, the cake, the decorations...in the end are all just "stuff". What really matters is that you are married to the right man for you. Life is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the ride and the pit-stops along the way!

Happy wedding day!

The Hills said...

I didn't know you did an anniversary post. I agree with the comment above! I so wish we had done something smaller. Or better yet, eloped..in Hawaii!

If we could do things over, we both agree that we would have gotten married in January, with none of that "stuff." Serious.

Facebook Badge