Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Finally!!

So....after 13 hours of labor and really...literally NO pushing on my part (just my body's) I have my beautiful baby boy. Tristan Matthew Armstrong was born July 13, 2008 @ 10:30pm, weighing in at 7lbs 9.2oz and 20 1/2 in long.







My Labor Story:

Well, I was in pre-labor for quite a LONG time. I went to the doctors Wed. and they told me I was 3cm dilated. I was completely shocked, I was having some contractions, but nothing that bothered me. So, these continued until Saturday night when I started having them regularly and they kinda hurt....and I was losing my mucus plug and having a bloody show. I told Matthew to get ready because I could have this baby here pretty quick. I got things ready and packed my bag for the hospital.
That night I woke up around 1 am and I was having hard contractions every 5 min...so I timed them and I was right. At about 5 am I woke Matthew up and told him I was in labor and that I thought we should go to the hospital. We got ready, got showered, got the kids ready for church and dropped them off at a Sisters house in our church.
We got to the hospital at 8:30 and they started me up on monitors, and an hour later I was 4 cm dilated, so they told me that they were going to admit me.
They gave me an IV (which wasn't as bad experience....they ALWAYS have to poke me a dozen times before they find the vein, they poked me twice).
My contractions were not at all to a 10 on a pain scale, they were always at a 7.
They told me it was going to be a while before they could give me an epidural....so they gave me this other drug which was THE GREATEST THING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! They told me the instant they give it to me I will be drowsy...and MAN were they right. It took about 1 min for the pain killers to work and I was out of it....It was like I was drunk, I couldn't focus or talk right, and I slept for a while because I didn't feel the contractions :):):)
At about 4 pm they broke my water and then the contractions started coming every 2 min. About an hour later they gave me an epidural (which was great by the way....one of the best I have had :)) I was stuck at 8 cm it seemed like forever, then about 9 pm they checked me while I was having a contraction and they could still feel another sack of water, and when the doctor broke that bag of water I literally could feel the baby drop! it felt like a ton of bricks! From that point on I progressed REALLY fast, I went from a 9cm to 10cm from the time he broke my last bag of water. The bum pressure and hip pressure was beyond any pain that I experienced...I didn't even remember it hurting that bad with my last 2....but the time came (about 5 min after they broke my last bag of water) that it was time to push. I told them...I'm pushing and I can't stop. The nurse told me not to push because the doctor was putting on his gear....I couldn't stop and with in 2 pushes (I never really pushed, it was my body pushing the whole time) he was completely out...one push and the head was out and then the other push the rest of the body came. But man o man....what a BIG relief it is to have that baby out....it was complete euphoria.
They had Matthew cut the cord and then put Tristan right on my chest while they were doing the other birthing process and stitching me up :) I didn't have hemorrhoids during this labor and I didn't go to the bathroom on the table either (which was a huge embarrassment from last time). The nurse told me that if every labor was that easy, every woman would want a baby (uhhh.....hello? you weren't going through all that pain lady).

All in all though...it was a great experience. I was VERY thankful that I didn't have a lot of pain, although it was a long labor, there wasn't a lot of pain involved. And I am sooo thankful to have such a beautiful baby to hold and kiss and love :)

Breastfeeding is still an on going battle, and I think it will be for the rest of my child bearing years. I am, though, doing a LOT better with Tristan then with Gabriel and Brooke. By the end of my hospital stay I gave my other 2 formula because I wasn't supplying enough, but with Tristan I didn't, I've only given him 2 oz thus far of formula, although I think it's going to be a regular thing....breastfeeding as much as I can and then supplementing. I SOOO wish I could just full out breastfeed, but I don't think my body can do it....I thought it was on my part, like my fault, I could have dome something more about it....but having Tristan and seeing that I almost starve him if I don't supplement....there's really nothing I can do but supplement.
Frustrating....but I'll have a happier baby because of it :)

No comments:

Facebook Badge